“Temptation” means the desire for getting anything that ought to be avoided. A Moth gets trapped by the fascination for light. An insect meets its death inside Nepenthes. The fish ends its life through the bait.
However, temptation varies from a person to a person depending on their mindset, age and circumstances. Many people think it's a thrill needing courage to do unmindful of the proverbial saying ' Fire hurts you even in a secret place.'
The following list illustrates ten different situations involving temptations.
1) Schoolboy prefers watching soccer on TV over his exam.
2) Youth spends lavishly without caring for the future.
3) A businessman skips his lunch to clinch a deal in the next round of trade negotiations.
4) Diabetic patient tries to taste every variety of sweet dish when the spouse is away.
5) Motorcyclist speeds past the amber signal. And, some drivers cross the yellow line to overtake.
6) Pedestrians rush to cut across the zebra lines unmindful of the approaching traffic.
7) Lured by the lifestyle of neighbors, people resort to shortcuts and illegitimate ways for making faster bucks.
8) Thirst for power and wealth compels corrupting the minds and systems.
9) Greed to grab another country leads to battles and wars.
10) Temptation to get an upper hand in a situation earns enmity and dislikes.
The repercussions of temptations are inimical to an individual and society as well. They could breed hate and cause loss of peace and prosperity to the human tribe.
The famous writer and poet Oscar Wilde noted as 'I could resist everything except temptation. The only way to get rid of it is to yield to it. Do you really think ... That it is a weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations that require strength and courage, to yield to. To stake all one's life on a single moment, to risk everything on one throw, whether the stake be power or pleasure, I care not-there is no weakness in that.'
Nevertheless, better start exercising control over temptations with firmness to ensure a promising future for all.